Goa is best known for it’s beaches fringed with rustling palms but the Goan cuisine is also a highlight of this popular region located on India’s west coast. Seafood, coconut milk, rice and chillies are main ingredients of Goan delicacies which are often spicy with intense flavours. Goan prawn curry is a popular dish you will find served up in homestays. Guests often ask for the recipe so they can enjoy the tastes of their holiday when they return home.
Makes 4 portions
For the curry paste:
15 gm Whole Red Chilly
½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
2 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
10 gm Garlic
100 gm grated coconut
15 gm Tamarind
For the curry:
600 gm Peeled Medium sized Prawns
50 ml of oil
100 gm Onion finely chopped
50 gm Tomato finely chopped
5 pieces of Cocum cut into half
2 pieces of Green Chilly slit into half
100 ml thick Coconut milk
20 gm Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1. Paste all the ingredients prepared for pasting in an electric blender.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion till it becomes transparent.
3. Add tomato, green chilly & Kokum and fry for 2 min.
4. Add the ground paste and cook for 2 min.
5 Pour 500 ml of water and bring it to boil.
6. Add the cleaned prawns and cook it for 7 min.
7. Pour the coconut milk, bring it to boil, sprinkle coriander leaves on top and serve it with steamed rice.