Cafreal is a spicy chicken dish which is very popular in Goa. The marinade was introduced into the Goan cuisine by the Portuguese. It’s distinct flavour comes from the fresh coriander leaves, green chillies, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and cloves used in the preparation. Discover how to make this delicious dish at home.
Makes 4 portions
For the marinade:
200 gm Coriander leaves
30 gm Green Chilies
30 gm Garlic
20 gm Ginger
20 gm Mint leaves
1 Cinnamon Stick
30 ml Rum
5 gm Sugar
Salt to taste
For the curry:
20 ml of oil
6 pieces of Chicken Breast
150 gm Potato cut into quarters
6 pieces of Pav (Pav refers to bread, the word having its origin in Portuguese)
1. Paste all the ingredients prepared for marinade in an electric blender.
2. Marinate chicken breast and quarters of potatoes in the ground paste for 2 hous.
3. Heat the oil in a flat bottom pan and cook the chicken and potatoes.
4. Remove Chicken & Potatoes and arrange them nicely on a platter.
5. Add the excess marinade and cook till it leaves oil.
6. Pour the cooked marinade over the chicken and serve it with Hot Pav.